Are you trying to get attention for your Startup? The ad:tech folks are sponsoring a Startup Spotlight event in San Francisco on April 3-4.
Tell your startup’s story in front of billions of dollars of brand marketing power! Join us for the Startup Spotlight Series at ad:tech San Francisco (April 3-4). It’s your opportunity to be featured as one of the industry’s rising stars, at the biggest digital marketing show in the business.
The deadline for submissions is tomorrow, January 31st, so get in there!
Kelly Teh over at CreditDonkey writes that 39% of business owners with no employees started their business with less than $5000 in startup capital, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration. Their infographic illustrates where home business owners go for startup capital.
Tim Donnelly writes that Dr. Aaron Blackledge has identified a common thread about how the entrepreneurial mind works—and how to treat it.
They’re people that balance their neurochemistry by constantly doing something stimulating or innovative at all times. If you sat in a room with hyper-creatives and tech entrepreneurs, and asked, “How many of you can go to the beach and sit under and umbrella for more than 15 minutes?” probably 90 percent of them would say “no.” And the 5 percent that said “yes” would not realize that they’re not allowed to have three electronic devices working under that umbrella.
Read the Full Story.
In this video, Vendscreen presents at the PIE PDX Demo Day.
VendScreen wirelessly delivers nutrition data and advertising to displays mounted on vending machines while collecting real-time, point-of-sale information for analytics tracking. We give users the ability to review nutrition information prior to purchase while providing operators a seamless and automatic system to comply with the new calorie disclosure law. We offer advertisers uncluttered access to a two-way connection with consumers in a manner previously not possible – at the vending machine at the very moment of the purchase decision!
The company recently landed $12 Million in funding. Read the Full Story.
This week IBM announced that nine Big Data Startups will vie for the 2012 IBM Global Entrepreneur Honors. Seclected from nearly 1000 applicants, the nine finalists will gather with the venture capital community in San Francisco at the end of January.
The ingenuity and innovation from the startup community is key to addressing the complex challenges cities and citizens face,” said Jim Corgel, general manager of entrepreneur programs at IBM. “These nine SmartCamp finalists represent the best new technologies from around the world. We will continue to work with them to help bring their solutions to market faster so that together we can build a smarter planet.”
Each startup participating at the SmartCamp Global Finals has created software that is designed to analyze large volumes of data. The finalists are:
- BitCarrier: BitCarrier’s traffic management solutions analyze real-time traffic information providing current travel times, estimations on congestion rates and accident alerts (winner, SmartCamp Barcelona).
- C-B4 Context Based 4Casting: CB4 has created a context-based system for identifying and analyzing hidden data patterns in large scale data warehouses. The system is particularly suited to the retail trade and customer relations management (winner, SmartCamp Tel Aviv).
- ConnectM: ConnectM’s machine-to-machine technology uses advanced analytics to collect information from disparate systems to provide business intelligence. The solutions are developed specifically for the telecommunications, utilities and transportation industries (winner, SmartCamp Bangalore).
- IDXP: IDXP’s consumer behavior solution installs sensors in stores and shopping carts to help retailers understand consumer behavior in real time (winner, SmartCamp Rio de Janeiro).
- Localytics: Localytics provides a real-time analytics service that provides makers of mobile phone and tablet applications with a better understanding of user preferences and tendencies (winner, SmartCamp New York).
- Palmap: Palmap’s mapping solution provides mobile users with real-time information for indoor activities such as navigating airports and shopping malls (winner, SmartCamp Shanghai).
- Profitero: Profitero helps on-line retailers maximize profits via actionable competitor analytics (winner, SmartCamp London).
- SecureWaters: SecureWaters’ patented technology continuously monitors, detects and identifies toxins in surface water. An early warning alarm system alerts clients to potential issues (winner, SmartCamp Austin).
- SkinScan: SkinScan’s mobile application enables users to scan the moles on their bodies to measure their skin cancer threat levels. They also offer a cloud infrastructure for medical histories of patients and doctors (winner, SmartCamp Istanbul).
Read the Full Story.
Are Non-Tech Startups a waste of time? Patrick FitzGerald writes that since techie Startups get all the attention, the non-techs need the following baselines covered if they want to attract an audience and capital:
- Uniqueness. A vending machine for movies (Redbox). A reverse ATM which provides cash for your old electronics (Ecoatm). Quick, easy, but above all else, unique.
- Painkiller. A device that translates and stores all of your receipts (Neat). Not a placebo, but a universally understood solution to a massive annoyance/problem.
- Simplicity. A parent friendly retail toy store where everything is under $5 (FiveBelow). Parents get it, kids love it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Read the Full Story.
Can Startups make healthcare better in America? A new free service aims to do just that by bringing medical directives into the 21st Century.
Today ADVault launched MyDirectives, a free and secure platform that brings advance medical directives online, allowing hospitals and families to cope better in times of crisis, and giving individuals control over their medical wishes even in the worst of situations.
Doctors and nurses try to provide the best care,” said Scott Brown, ADVault President, “but when the patient can’t communicate, the medical team needs access to quality advance medical directives. MyDirectives can help doctors and patients avoid tragic “death panel” situations right now. No new legislation, no bureaucracy. Consumers can take charge, for free, and have their voice heard, 24×7, anywhere in the world at the push of a button.”
Read the Full Story.